Sunday, October 26, 2014

Circle 7 Chapter 5


Chapter 5

Virginia seemed to take forever we took Route 66 to 81. But on our way through VA it rained heavily slowing our pace down. We were not able to reach Tennessee until 1 am that night. And my father had a difficult time driving around the mountains. He was a visual person so the lack of lighting on the intestate was troublesome for him. Bilal and Nyema gave me a look of concern with a smile. Our father had a reputation for being a horrible driver, something that he continuously refuted. But his detractors were pretty much everyone who had ever ridden with him ourselves included. Still, he always got us where we needed to get to safe and sound. We were never sure exactly how but reasoned that it was the fact that we were protected by the universe and had no direct relations to our father driving skills.

We made it to our hotel in Nashville where we were able to unwind for what was left of the evening. My parents got us our own room where Nyema and Bilal got the double beds and I was on the sofa couch.

“This is crazy Zohar. They did not even explain anything like they said they would. It was just a quiet drive filled with tension and riddles.” Bilal said.

“Yeah I was hoping to get more clarity on the situation. We are talking about tools and guns but nothing practical to our current situation it seems like we are living in the clouds.” I said.

“What happens if they are as crazy as everyone said to us growing up?” Nyema said.

“Then this is going to be one interesting family vacation.” Bilal said.

“We should just get some rest because we have to hit the road early and will miss this chance to stretch out once we are stuck in a car for however long to our next hotel.” I told them.

We had at least four more days in the car together so something had to be said.

It was a disturbing change of events to say the least where one day we are normal teenagers and the next we are on the run for crimes we are not even sure we committed. Still, I had trust in my parents and the love for my family. I knew it would all be ok but how we got to ok was very cloudy. I closed my eyes and went to sleep not sure of what tomorrow would bring.

The alarmed sounded at 6am. Dad wanted to get an early start to the day, he complained that his back and fingers were numb so I would think he wanted more sleep but he had the look in his eyes that he was ready to get this drive over. Our mother was not really the driving type and had always wanted a chauffeur which was a position my father filled unbeknownst to him.

“Okay everyone time to get this thing moving. I need to grab some coffee from Dunkin Donuts and a couple of 5 Hour Energy drinks.” He said.

“You know you are going to be wired for the whole day.” My mother said.

“That’s the point as I am going to be doing all the driving right.” My father asked.

“Yes, you should know your job by now.” She said.

“Well for the record, the pay for this job is horrible.”

“Isn’t three beautiful kids and a lovely wife enough payment?”

“Of course but seriously, you’re not driving at all.” He asked.

“No, my eyes I need to get knew contacts and glasses. I can barely see.” She said

“Oh, no problem it was just wishful thinking but you cannot drive when you can see and with the National Guard on patrol no need to risk my life twice when I can avoid at least one for sure.” He said.

As we piled in the truck, we grabbed some breakfast and headed toward our next stop which was Oklahoma City.

On our way through Memphis I was amazed by the beauty of nature everything was so green on 40-West. I was not able to appreciate the beauty of the highway scenery because of our 1am arrival. But we were all in awe.

“See, now you are enjoying it because you are seeing things you never saw before.” My mother said to my father.

He could not be mad at her for too long, what was the point when you were with somebody forever. I saw them hold hands and enjoy the scenery as much as possible. For a moment I forgot the troubles we were running away from. It just seemed like a regular road trip.

We breezed through Memphis and crossed the Mississippi River on the way to Arkansas. My father had this look of refreshment in his eyes like he was beginning to understand how lucky he was to see the country no matter the circumstances of what was going on around him. We were making great time until we hit traffic which slowed us up.

“The traffic is at a standstill.” My mother said.

“Yeah and right at the state line too, it is probably a check point.” He said.

“Grab my IPod and put on that hip-hop playlist on shuffle we will be ok I have Juicy J, Young Jeez, YG, Rick Ross to name a few their lyrical content will bring our energies down where we will be undetectable. But you all do not think of anything spiritual to raise your awareness. Let the music do what the corporate labels want it to do.” he said.

“No problem all we are missing is some fried chicken and watermelon and your plan for us being a complete stereotype will be complete.” Bilal said.

“Don’t forget the jewelry on the neck and on the teeth.” Nyema said.

As we looked over to the car next to us it was as if we were describing them exactly as the destroyed family box of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

“You have got to be kidding me. You think they are blending like us or are the stereotype?” I asked.

“I would say they are typical.” Bilal said.

“I am going to go for the blending type. Our parents aren’t the only ones missing a few screws. Nyema said.

“Ok I am the tie breaker. Well I was with you Nyema until I saw them eat that chicken with the gold teeth.” I said belting out a laugh.

My parents could not help but laugh as well.  Making our way through traffic we arrived at the checkpoint.

“Turn the music down we are pulling up.” My father said.

“License and registration!” the National Guard demanded with a German Sheppard sniffing around the car held by a woman with a sensor checking our spiritual energy levels. 

 “Here you go sir.”

“Where are you all headed?” the man asked.

“We are going cross country on school visits getting the kids college ready.”

“I will be right back I am going to run your information through the system.”

“No problem sir.”

As the women and dog continued to sniff around the car, I saw my mother clench my father’s arm in which he responded with a gently pat on her hand.

“Here you enjoy your college visits.”

“Thank you, are these check points at every state line because we may have to change our planning if there is going to be this type of traffic.” He asked.

“It is all pretty random each state is doing their own thing to keep the terrorists off balance.”

“Got it, well safety first of course; have a good day sir.” My father said rolling up his window and turning the music back up.

“I think it will be wise to keep the conversation about spirituality to a minimum and keeps the mainstream hip hop music flowing. I love this stuff though.” My father said.

“We all know you bombard us with this stuff constantly.” My mother responded.

“Everything has its lane nothing too big or small.” He said.

“Are we going to be speaking in parables the whole trip because if that is the case I will be rocking my headphones.” Bilal said

“Me too.” Nyema followed.

“Me three.” I said laughingly.

“Well I guess we will talk when we reach the next hotel then.” He said to us.

Arkansas was an interesting place that we a mix of swamp, stink, and good ole fashion BBQ. There were moments of the country smelling like the inside of toilet used too many time for a number two but we held our nostrils and trekked through. It was beautiful in moments and pushing me to almost vomit in my mouth seconds later.  We were not able to make it to Oklahoma City only to some random town on the Oklahoma border.

“Well I cannot drive anymore and unless anybody else is interested in driving than we are going to have to find a hotel.” He said.

“You sure a hotel is even out here.” Nyema said.

“More like motel.” Bilal said.

“Tomato, tomato.” My dad said.

“Well, I am not driving with all that military, too much pressure. And I am sick of being in a car anyway.” I said.

“Well I am pulling some options up on our phone and it looks like Nyema was right our best option in a 2 ½ star motel. But hey beggars cannot be choosy.” My mom said.

“I guess beggars are the only logical next step being that we are on the run with no jobs and no real future anymore.” Bilal said.

“Bilal, we can talk about it at the hotel.” My dad said.

“You mean motel?” Bilal corrected.

As we made our way to our room we saw the double beds but no couch.

“I have the bed tonight which means Bilal, you’re on the floor.” I said jumping onto the bed to claim it.

“This is wack, why can’t Nyema sleep on the floor.” Bilal asked.

“I would tell dad and one of you would have to sleep on the floor, so postpone the inevitable.” Nyema said.

“I can’t stand you!” Bilal said grabbing his sheets and making his arrangements on the floor.

We a knock at the door and saw our parents enter through the door.

“You all decent?” my father asked making his way into the room.

“Yeah just anxious to get some answers from you guys.” I told them.

“Well, I do not know where to begin. We are at war with people who want to do us harm and it is best to stay ahead of the curve. They have no idea that we exist but that does not mean that will always be in the dark. In my opinion it is better to be on the offensive now.” He told us.

“So, we are not even in any danger?” Nyema asked.

“You have got to be kidding me.” Bilal said.

“I knew you all were crazy!” I said.

“I am sorry did you not see those soldiers patrolling the highway? Who do you think they are looking for?” my mother said.

“But if we were back home living our normal life than we would not be in this position.” I said.

“The hard truth is that the way things are going we were going to have to move eventually. It is better to get to a safe place early because there is a lot of work that has to be done.” My dad said.

“What do you mean a lot of work? Nyema asked.

“We have to take our spirituality to another level that has never been seen before.” My mother said.

“This is crazy! Zohar you are not buying this are you?” Bilal said.

“Bilal, we can complain all we want but you saw the dogs with the scanners. They had no idea about us so they must know something that we don’t and if we leave without them at this point who knows what will happen to us out there.” I said.

“I know that this is their entire fault. I just want my normal life back, my friends, and my home.” Bilal said tearing up in frustration.

My mother in that moment just grabbed him and gave him a big hug.

“Bilal, we will get through this I promise you. Unfortunately, you would have never had a normal life with any of us. We are a different type of people but once we get to Phoenix you will see.” My father said.

“If we get there.” Nyema said.

“Well that is enough for one night everyone is tired let’s just go to bed and get moving at the crack of dawn.

“Goodnight.” They said leaving the room.

“I feel like we are in a concentration camp already.” Bilal said.

“Don’t be so dramatic Bilal.” Nyema said.

“It is crazy how little they are telling us; maybe they are not even sure.” I said.

“Thank you for easing our fears Zohar.”Nyema said.
We were not able to talk or sleep we were just sat in the room watching television all night. To be mindless if only for a few hours was treasured as we continued this journey into unchartered waters not even sure our parents who we entrusted as our guides knew what was ahead.

Pre-order your copy at:

http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Seven-Manu-Amun-ebook/dp/B00OHP5XOW/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1415563993&sr=8-5&keywords=circle+seven

No comments: